Either this is spiritual warfare, or God is just messing with me.
Here's how today has gone for me:
1. I pulled out some old math workbooks for #3. He's finished his book for this year, but his shrink says he's way remedial. I don't want to believe her, so we try to do last year's work. He can't do it. I realize that I've been over-helping and all the work we've done this year has accomplished nothing more than me re-learning 2nd grade math. I don't even have words to describe the heartbreak. We're considering public school for him next year. I no longer know what to even try to help him.
2. While fighting tears of frustration over the math thing, I get an e-mail from the RE director at our parish reminding me that the stupid felt banners for First Communion are due this weekend. I thought we had another week. Somehow, #3 and I managed to slap together a respectable banner. (I used to be clever and creative. Now I just hate arts and crafts)
3. I realized that the stupid banner hanging was at the same time as my irl friend Peace's Baptism for her 7th baby. I cried when I told her we wouldn't be there. (She's a good friend. She cried with me over #3 and told me to not worry about the Baptism.)
4. I got a call from the bank. My check card took a vacation to California without me. I hope it had a good time as it racked up $2500 in charges. (Over $400 to a liquor store!!!! I could at least get an invite to the party.)
5. While I was on the phone with the bank, #5 threw up in the entry way. You can't eat Easter candy without unwrapping it first. Who knew? (I'm tired of bodily fluids. Really tired.)
6. As I mopped the floor and took towels to the laundry, #6 fell down the stairs. He's fine. He only rolled down two, got a bonk on his head, and scared us both pretty good. But, are you kidding me? (Yes, we have baby gates, but they don't fit these old style stairs.)
7. I gave up inside the house and went outside to mow the lawn. I like to do it. It's something I can do that actually lasts a while. I reached down to pull the cord and it came away in my hand. (I've had it with this day)
8. I came inside and curled up in a chair because reading is safe, isn't it? A dumb bird flew into the window and knocked itself loopy. My daughter's dog at it. (I laughed out loud as I cried. Is that evil?)
This has been a bad day, but at least I'm not the bird.